Monday, December 23, 2013

In the house of God


I was in your house,
And wondered what made it home?
Why, like family, these people flock;
Yet between them, no family talk.
With their heads low,
And their spirits high,
To cleanse been brought,
I wonder, their deeds or thought?

Who knows when you would show up to save us all,
But we should be prepared for you with a glamorous hall,
Deck you with gold and offer you a crown,
And chant your name out, real loud,
Till the cries of the needy drown.
Are you pompous or greedy, or a bit of both?
Sometimes gold, sometimes sacrifice is owed.
So did you create us to worship you and pray,
Or enjoy your creation, the fruits you gave?

It seems you are so much in love with yourself,
That you need statutes and monuments made.
And only then, only to those will you respond,
Who have the feet to enter your house and offerings to bond.

I hear, you are my guide and friend,
But only if I follow your terms and bend,
Pray endlessly, and worship till the end.
As a friend, can I not lovingly call you something new?
To show affection, how the faith grew?
If your rules called rituals are the only path,
I haven’t heard of a shallower friendship,
Nor more ego than a human hath.

If I call you by a name you call yourself not,
Will you damn me then and throw me in hell?
Or have me persecuted here by your guards who dwell.
Is the death of your children all you want?
Your guardians swear to protect and save,
In your name take each other to their grave?

For the worst may befall, if I don’t follow,
Your rules and rituals, the dance so hollow.
The blind support, the coward's call,
Let us murder those who will not bend and fall.
So true and mighty high you are,
To slave your creation like a puppet star.

How are you different then, from the people below?
Nothing but materialistic, shallow and low.
For you we must bleed, till your wants fulfill,
But our fellows should die hungry and ill.

Will you only hear those who think of you day and night?
Or those who acknowledge your shining light?
But what of those who put in faith in what you built?
Caring for others, without a religious will?

Is there no room for people to love;
Without the threat, of heaven and hell above?
Can we not just be and enjoy our days,
Without the self-sacrifice and worship ways?
Can we not love those who call you differently,
Or must we feel with your name only?

Are you mine only if I don’t eat and drink forbidden things,
Each day get you a large offering?
Or do you love as a God should,
Without any wants,  without anything to bring?

I heard in your house, the bells ring loud,
The prayers bring peace to the crowd.
I wonder why my home is too small,
For you to grant peace,
To answer my sincere call.


No comments:

Post a Comment